It’s A Great Time to Quit
COVID-19 is a new disease and public health scientists are still learning about it. Based on available information and clinical expertise, those who smoke and vape are more likely to have serious complications from COVID-19.
Why is There an Increased Risk?
- Tobacco users brings their hands to their mouth several times a day. Therefore, they are more likely to transfer the virus to their mouth.
- People who use vaping devices and waterpipes often share the mouthpieces of these devices with others.
- Vaping nicotine and marijuana can cause inflammation in the airway and the lungs.
- Smoking and tobacco use can cause underlying medical conditions that increase the risk of severe disease and death from COVID-19. These conditions include:
- Lung Disease, especially chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Cardiovascular Disease
Support is Available:
You are not alone. The Maine QuitLink offers free, confidential, supportive help over the phone or online. You’ll work with a nationally certified and trained Quit Coach to make a personal plan to help you reach your quit goals.